To be the point of contact for members when there are issues and forwarding possible grievances to the Chief Shop Steward.
Term of Office
- 2 year term
- All Stewards are encouraged to take the introduction to stewarding workshop and as many stewarding workshops as possible.
- Most workshops are over 2 days on a weekend. Any meal or mileage expenses will be paid by the union.
- All grievance meetings are during work time
- Stewards can put in as much or as little time as they are able to
This committee will:
- Oversee the handling of all local grievances.
- Receive copies of all grievances.
- Prepare a report on the status of all grievances to be submitted to the Executive Board, the National Representative, and to the membership meeting.
- Be responsible to work toward completing the steward learning series modules. This requires a clear effort to take at least one workshop per season hosted by CUPE National. Every effort will be made by the education committee for the steward to be sent on the workshop most convenient and appropriate for them.
- Even after completion of all available modules, be responsible to continue to take workshops as refreshers or ones approved by the chair.
- Be required to forward copies of all workshop certificates to the Recording Secretary as proof of completion.
- When a grievance is not settled in the initial steps provided for in the collective agreement, this committee will vote on whether or not the grievance should proceed to arbitration.
- If the decision is to not proceed, the grievor(s) may appeal the decision to the Executive Board.
- The Executive Board may request the committee conduct another vote on a decision, but is required to give reasoning to support the request.
There are six (6) regions that require a Shop Steward:
- Engineering and Information Services at 450 Cowie Hill
- Corporate Services at 450 Cowie Hill
- Regulatory Services at 450 Cowie Hill
- 455 Cowie Hill
- Park Avenue and Mann St
- Neptune Cres. and Bissett Rd
In the event of the local not having enough stewards to have one (1) steward assigned to each these six (6) regions, a steward may be assigned two (2) regions temporarily while the committee recruits and trains more stewards.