Term of Office
- 2 year term
- Elected in January of even years
- Minimum of a 2 day workshop for signing officers
- The Secretary-Treasurer is encouraged to take as many CUPE Workshops as possible
- This position can have a significant time contribution which may change depending on how things are working between the Union and the Employer.
- Any meetings with the employer that occur during the work day are paid by the employer.
- Your Manager is required to let you attend any meeting that is being paid for by the Employer.
- Minimum personal time commitment 2 hours per week
The Secretary-Treasurer shall:
- Receive all revenue, initiation fees, dues, and assessments, keeping a record of each member’s payments, and deposit promptly all money with a bank or credit union.
- Sign all cheques, other than those addressed to the Secretary-Treasurer, and ensure that the Local Union’s funds are used only as authorized or directed by the CUPE Constitution, Local Union bylaws, or vote of the membership. In consultation with the Executive Board, designate a signing officer during prolonged absences.
- Ensure that per capita tax is paid by direct remittance, or where per capita is not paid by direct remittance, prepare all CUPE National per capita tax forms and remit payment no later than the last day of the following month.
- Be responsible for maintaining, organizing, safeguarding and keeping on file all supporting documents, authorizations, invoices and/or expense claims for every disbursement made, receipts for all money sent to CUPE National, as well as records and supporting documents for all income received by the Local Union.
- Record all financial transactions in a manner acceptable to the Executive Board and in accordance with good accounting practices.
- Make a full financial report to meetings of the Local Union’s Executive Board.
- Make a written financial report to each regular membership meeting, detailing all income and expenditures for the period.
- Be bonded through the master bond held by CUPE National. Any Secretary-Treasurer who cannot qualify for the bond shall be disqualified from office.
- Pay no money unless supported by a cheque requisition or expense form or request for payment duly signed by the President and one other member of the Executive Board as determined by the Executive Board. No request shall be required for payment of per capita fees to any organization to which the Local Union is affiliated.
- Make all books available for inspection by the Trustees and/or auditors on reasonable notice. Ensure that the books are audited at least once each calendar year and within a reasonable time, respond in writing to any recommendations and concerns raised by the Trustees.
- Provide the Trustees with any information the Trustees require to complete the audit, including forms provided by CUPE National.
- Be empowered, with the approval of the membership, to employ necessary administrative assistance to be paid for out of the Local Union’s funds.
- Notify all members who are one month in arrears and report to the Executive Board all members two or more months in arrears in the payment of union dues.