Term of Office
- 2 year term
- Elected in January of even years
- Minimum of a 2 day workshop for signing officers
- The President is encouraged to take as many CUPE Workshops as possible
- This position can have a significant time contribution which may change depending on how things are working between the Union and the Employer.
- Any meetings with the employer that occur during the work day are paid by the employer.
- Your Manager is required to let you attend any meeting that is being paid for by the Employer.
- Minimum personal time commitment 2 hours per week
The President shall:
- Enforce the CUPE National Constitution, these Local Union bylaws and the Equality Statement.
- Interpret these bylaws as required.
- Preside at all membership and Executive Board meetings and preserve order.
- Decide all points of order and procedure (subject always to appeal to the membership).
- Have the same right to vote as other members. In the case of a tie vote, the President may cast another vote or the President may refrain from casting an additional vote, in which case the motion is defeated.
- Ensure that all Officers perform their assigned duties.
- Fill committee vacancies where elections are not provided for.
- Introduce new members and conduct them through the initiation ceremony.
- Hold signing authority for the union to ensure that the Local Union’s funds are used only as authorized or directed by the CUPE Constitution, Local Union bylaws, or vote of the membership.
- Be allowed necessary and reasonable funds to reimburse the President or any Officers for expenses incurred on behalf of the Local Union. Expense claims must be listed on a proper form outlining the expense, the reason for the expense, and with supporting receipt(s) attached.
- Have first preference as a delegate to the CUPE National and Provincial Conventions, Conferences, CUPE sponsored events and workshops.