Responsible for compiling changes to the bylaws requested by the executive or the members. The Chair will also offer their opinions to the executive on any possible changes to the bylaws, conflicts with current wording, or any other issues that may arise. The responsibility of interpreting the bylaws falls solely on the President, but the President may ask for input when making rulings on clauses in the bylaws.
Term of Office
- 2 year term
- Elected in January of odd years
- No specific training is required for this position, but as all positions we encourage you to take as many workshops as desired. Any meal or mileage expenses will be paid by the union.
- 1 hour personal time per month
- Additional time to compile changes into new bylaw document, which occurs every few years.
This committee will:
- Review the bylaws annually and make recommendations to the Executive Board on proposed amendments.
- Review any proposed amendments received from the Executive Board or membership of the Local Union to ensure that the amendments will conform to the remainder of the bylaws and the CUPE National Constitution.
- Ensure that the Local Union’s bylaws are written in clear language, ensuring that clear language does not change the intent or meaning of the bylaws.
- The committee members will be the elected chairperson and two (2) members. The committee shall appoint its secretary from among its members. The National Representative assigned to the Local Union shall be a non-voting member of the committee and shall be consulted during the review process.